An open letter to Governor Seyi Makinde (GSM) – The Executive Governor of OYO State
TIME TO HONOUR YOUR SON ARUNA QUADRI (No. 1, in Africa and No.19 in the world in Table tennis)
Hearty congratulations on your 100 days of exemplary and pacesetting leadership. One that has moved towards revolutionizing state governance in our beloved country. Many people in your state have applauded your unique style of leadership and it’s obvious that close watchers of the your young administration are eagerly waiting and hoping that there will be continuity in the positive development they have witnessed in the last 100days. The extraordinary manner in which the budget for education was increased to 10%, is heartwarming and it’s certain that the promise of a better and brighter future for Oyo indigene has begun on a right trajectory. May your tribe increase…
The major reason for penning this open letter is to draw your attention to a great son of Oyo state who has projected, positively the image of our country, whose remarkable feats has been second to none in the history of Nigeria in the sports of Table tennis. His name is Aruna Quadri, a native of Oyo in OYO STATE, his individual achievement and honours he got while representing Nigeria deserves recognition from both the Federal and State governments. While the Federal government have overlooked the individual achievements of our glorious athletes and focused on using Football as an enabling PR tool the state government can’t continue to overlook this good ambassador from OYO State.
Below are some of his achievements –
Meet Aruna Quadri
Aruna Quadri is one of the standard bearers of Nigeria table tennis. In recent times, the talented, humble Oyo indigene has been the shining light in the armour of Nigeria table tennis and indeed one of the best African to ever play the Pingpong game. Quadri Aruna was born on 9 August 1988, in the city Oyo. Quadri attended Oba Adeyemi High School, Oyo State, Nigeria. He represented his school, Oyo East Local Government Area and Oyo State at various table tennis competitions
· He is Nigeria’s number one ranked table tennis player
· He is the number ranked table tennis player in Africa
· He is the 19th ranked table tennis player in the world.
· He was also part of the Nigerian team that won bronze at the 2014 Commonwealth Games
· In 2014, the International Table Tennis Federation named him the World’s Star Player of the year.
· At the Liebherr 2014 Men’s World Cup in Düsseldorf, Quadri Aruna became the first Africa player to reach the quarter-final stage of the prestigious tournament.
· At the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Aruna Quadri became the first African to qualify for the quarter finals.
· Aruna Quadri won the outstanding Sportsman of the year award at the 2018 Nigerian Sports Award.
· He is first player from Nigeria to win a Men’s Singles title on the ITTF World Tour (Poland),ITTF Challenge Series(Lagos, Nigeria) and ITTF Challenge Series PLUS (Lagos, Nigeria)
Quadri Aruna is well known for setting records and has accomplished a new landmark achievement in the sports of table tennis and honouring a son of OYO state who has brought great glory to fatherland and has become an inspiration to many can only serve to inspire More youths in the State and in Nigeria in general to strive for excellence in all spheres of endeavour.