FIFA is doubling its minimum ban for racist incidents to 10 games and will allow players to make victim statements and participate in the proceedings, world soccer’s governing body said on Thursday
Stricter punishments against racism and other discriminatory behaviour was a key part of FIFA’s updated disciplinary code which takes effect from Monday.
“FIFA’s Disciplinary Committee may permit the victim to make a statement, allowing the latter to participate in the proceedings. FIFA will not let down victims of racist abuse,” the body said in a statement.The changes follow on from several high profile incidents last season in domestic and international football.
Earlier this week, FIFA also launched a new global program teaching member associations and confederations to safeguard children from abuse.
The new initiative, called FIFA Guardians, will allow members in reviewing their existing safeguarding measures through practical guidance and support materials.
“FIFA has a duty and responsibility to ensure that those who play football can do so in a safe, positive and enjoyable environment,” FIFA Secretary General Fatma Samoura said.